What We Do
Our strategy is to influence nearby cities, religious organizations, college campuses, and retirement funds to divest from fossil fuel companies and reinvest in sustainable alternatives. Currently, team members are working within four faith communities, one company 401(k) plan, and one university (Stanford). We hope that as our team grows we will work on divestment campaigns for more cities and employee retirement funds.
How We Do It
- We speak out at city council meetings and other public events.
- We meet periodically to discuss and support our members’ divestment related activities.
- We create, discover and share resources and links to useful information about the worldwide divestment movement.
- We provide resources and speakers on the topic of environmentally responsible investment options
- We work with national 350.org to refine the communication among local groups across the country
Why We Do It
- Ultimate Goal: keep 80% of the known fossil fuel reserves in the ground, to avoid catastrophic climate change
- Immediate goal: gain public acceptance that just as it’s morally wrong to wreck the climate, it’s morally wrong to profit from wrecking the climate. Get as many institutions and individuals as possible to discuss and begin divesting funds from the top 200 fossil fuel companies
- Intermediate goal: compel the influential people who sit on boards of colleges, religious institutions, retirement boards, as well as those in the investment community, to face the reality that if the fossil fuel companies fulfill their mission, they will wreck the earth
- Bring enough negative publicity to gradually revoke the social license that fossil fuel companies enjoy
- 2014: Supported the Fossil Free Stanford student movement that led to the Stanford endowment being divested from coal.
- 2017: Marched with Stand with Standing Rock to tell banks to stop funding the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- 2018: Convinced the City of Palo Alto to start moving their money out of fossil fuel-laden bonds.
- 2018: Through our participation in organizing divestfund.org, awarded thousands of dollars held in escrow for the campus that agreed to fully divest (Salem State in MA)
- 2019: Helped advance a City of Mountain View policy to divest their fossil fuel investments.
Divesting Fossil Fuels from Your Portfolio
Want to move your money to greener pastures? We periodically host seminars on personal divestment. Learn how to move your money from dirty fossil-fueled institutions and investments to clean sustainable ones. Join our email list to be notified of our next seminar, coming soon!
- A handy website to get started with your clean portfolio, visit cleanportfolios.com.
- If you want to see if your mutual fund is clean or dirty, visit fossilfreefunds.org.
- To see all the materials from our previous seminars, look here.